Floating Floors, Floating Walls & Floating Ceiling Systems
Floating floors, floating walls, and floating ceilings are a means of vibrationally isolating these structures from the surrounding construction. These isolation systems are manufactured by Kinetics Noise Control. They are used to
- Reduce the transmission of noise and vibration from mechanical equipment onto a building structure, support
- Isolate and suspend mechanical equipment
- Protect equipment from damage during seismic activity.
What are Floating Floors?
Designed to isolate the finished floor from the subfloor, floating floors can reduce the vibration or air borne noise from passing through the floor. Floating floors create an airspace with resilient members that result in a reduction of noise and vibrations.
What are Floating Walls?
In order to control vibration throughout a space, floating walls are installed. In typical walls, noise penetrates the wall and activates the studs inside the wall, allowing the transmission of sound and vibration. Utilizing sound isolation clips, vibration is absorbed before making contact with the studs – preventing a significant amount of vibration from occurring.
What are Floating Ceilings?
Attached to the existing ceiling structure, ceiling isolators create floating ceilings that can absorb vibration caused by machinery, music and people in a variety of applications. Through the use of springs, neoprene, fiberglass, and other resilient members, floating ceilings can dramatically reduce noise and vibration through the ceiling.
O’Neill can provide the technical assistance in selecting a floating floor, wall, and ceiling as well as in specification development of a tailor-made isolation system to meet the requirements of the project.
Or Call Us
Concrete & Wood-Framed Floating Ceiling Isolation Systems
- Maximum natural frequency of 4.4 Hz under lightest typical load conditions
- Inexpensive installation
- Spring/neoprene cup combination improves performance against low-frequency noise
- Meets code requirements (STC/IIC 50) while maximizing height
- Various attachment methods allow for installation on a variety of ceiling structures
- UL design L581 offers 1-hour fire rating for typical wood-framed ceiling composities
Floating Floor Systems
- Easy installation
- Design for any load range
- Easy to create 1″, 2″, 3″, and 4″ airspaces
- Fast, simple, inexpensive installation
- Natural Frequency constant over a wide load range
- Proven effective for vibration mitigation of intense impact noises, in gyms, weight rooms, bowling alleys, and sensitive instrumentation spaces.
- In-field acoustical testing yielded results of FIIC 72, FSTC 61 for a vented floating floor
- Load capacities offered in either fiberglass or neoprene isolators
- Withstands live loads up to 1000 psf
Floating Wall Isolation Systems
- Easy installation
- Engineered for a wide range of studwall loads
- Maintains acoustical ratings per ASTM C 919 and ASTM E 497
- Testing to UL 263 (ASTM E119) and UL 1479 (ASTM E814)
Popular applications for this product include:
Building systems—most notably HVAC systems and the mechanical rooms that contain them—can be a major source of noise without proper noise reduction treatments.Learn More
Product Testing & Development
Acoustically-treated enclosures designed to provide consistent testing environments for precise measurements while providing sound isolation from external environments.Learn More
Security & Law Enforcement Soundproofing
Soundproofing & noise control for security, emergency and law enforcement facilities. Our sound control solutions dramatically reduce noisy distractions caused by open-concept spaces, callers, respondents, equipment, etc.Learn More
Radio, TV & Post Production
Studio soundproofing solutions allow for crisp, clear editing and production in recording studios, control rooms and editing rooms for radio, TV, music & movie environments.Learn More
Every medical facility has its own unique sound control needs. Whether you need noise control solutions for exam room privacy or audiometric testing booths, we have you covered.Learn More
Our Service Offerings
O'Neill Engineered Systems, Inc. offers complete noise control solutions to suit your specific needs. Click on one of our services below to learn more about what we can offer you.
Click on a PDF below to download technical brochures with detailed specifications, images, graphs and more.