Classrooms & Band Room Acoustic Solutions
Minimize Reverberation & Echo for Optimal Clarity
Noise pollution in schools causes significant distraction. Anyone working in education has heard (or said) the following at one point or another:
- “Noise from other areas of the building gets into my classroom/rehearsal room.”
- “I’m constantly reminded that when we rehearse we cause distractions in adjoining classrooms and administration offices.”
- “I share a wall with a band room and the noise is a real problem for our choir rehearsals.”
- “Whenever the building air-conditioning comes on we can hear it all — rhythmic squeaking, the rumble of the motors and the vibrations of the condenser.”
Classroom noise control—whether for an actual classroom or a band room—is one of the most important design aspects of any educational facility; numerous studies have shown that excessive noise and reverberation can negatively affect student concentration, comprehension, and performance. As such, measures need to be taken to achieve optimal classroom acoustics.
The O’Neill Difference
We have extensive experience designing and installing noise control solutions that effectively solve classroom and music department acoustic problems.
But everyone says that.
Where O’Neill differs is we’ve developed a tried-and-true on-site assessment, from which we emerge with a more intimate understanding of your project than other so-called noise control companies. Many customers have even reached out to us to improve upon under-performing solutions other companies designed and installed. In short, we’ll get it done right the first time.
Ideal Music & Classroom Reverberation Times
Reverberation time is defined as the length of time required for sound to decay 60 decibels from its initial level. Basically, the longer the reverberation time, the poorer the noise control. Depending on the room and its purpose, ideal reverberation times vary. That being said, the following are ideal band room and classroom reverberation times:
- Ideal classroom reverberation time — 0.4 to 0.6 seconds
- Ideal band room reverberation time (choral rehearsal) — up to 1.3 seconds
- Ideal band room reverberation time (band rehearsal) — 0.8 to 1.o seconds
We’ll help you achieve these optimal reverberation times and, consequently, acoustic performance using the following noise control products: